Sunday, April 6, 2014

Doomsday Preppers

I love being half of a crazy Mormon couple who plans for natural disasters and actually has a bunker for the occasion.  Okay, it's not really a bunker, but it is a pretty cool storage room.
 
We decided to take our basement back one room at a time.  This weekend was the food storage room.  We vacuumed out the old coal bin area to prep it for a good coat of paint.
 
We used the masonry Killz waterproofing paint.  It's amazing how much it brightens up this tiny hole of a room.
 
Brian finished off the door quite nicely, don't you think?  After the paint was dry, we put the shelves we had in our old storage area in and brought in all our food storage, water and other doomsday items ;).
 
As part of this project, I had a hair-brained idea that Brian was willing to participate in.  I saw these drying racks on Ballard Designs.  Then I saw a DIY blog from a woman who had created one for herself and thought...we could totally do that....and make it a door.
 
So, we built a wood frame and backed it with the beadboard that is on the walls of the laundry room.  Then with the help of my nifty dowling jig.....
 
We built the drying rack!  We put it on some piano hinges and mounted it as a door.  Pretty cool, huh?  It's going to look great after it's all pained.
 
I was so pleased that I forced Brian to help me with another wood working project.  A double easel to hang on the wall of the kids' toy room.  It will have two rolls of paper that the kids will be able to pull down and tear off.  I got the idea from this blog.  Hers is only for one roll and I totally envisioned kids fighting over who gets to color.  Problem solved.
 
I can't believe how much we got done this weekend.  We had a lot of help from Grandma Sherrie as she took the kids Friday night and most of the day Saturday.  But my awesome husband is the real reason we rocked it.  I can't wait to be holed up with you in that little bunker during the zombie apocalypse.  Love you.


No comments: