Friday, May 7, 2010

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Why is our water heater outside on our lawn? Funny story. Not so much "funny-ha-ha" funny as much as "funny-we-could-have-died" funny.

A couple days ago, our carbon monoxide detector went off. We thought it might be the furnace, but our furnace was brand new. It didn't get keep going off, so we figured we get it checked out in the next day or so. Then yesterday, Brian went into the furnace room and water was everywhere. Our 19-year old water heater was leaking. We had a plumber come out to see what it would cost to replace and much to his (and our) chagrin, he found that the water heater wasn't all.

When they put the second story on, they had to come up with some other way to vent the water heater. Brian and I thought this had been taken care of, but apparently we were wrong.

It's kind of scary when you think that I was sleeping literally 2 feet away from that thing for 6 months, let alone while pregnant and had a 3 year old not too far away. That whole time, though, the CO detector never went off so I'm sure we weren't in any huge danger. And it is good to know that the detector actually works.

What I really can't figure out is how the heck it ever passed inspection. Scary. Anyway, we got a new water heater today and it's 10 gallons bigger. I'm anxious to see how much longer that gives me in the shower :)

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Wow, that is so scary! I'm glad you guys are okay. We just replaced our 20 year old water heater, so I know how bad an old water heater can be. You will absolutely love your new one.